Wednesday, August 22, 2007

You Never Can Tell with Nuts

I have testicular cancer, which, on one hand, kind of sucks, but on the other hand, at least I have something new to blog about.

I discovered something was amiss a few days ago in the shower when I noticed the right fella had become a bit firm and enlarged. At first, I thought that was pretty neat -- growing an actual pair of enormous, manly, Paul Bunyan-esque stones. (I would never miss another clutch jump shot again, and maybe, just maybe, I would finally be man enough to carry two 24 packs of Coke and Emma from the van to the house at the same time -- as it stands, I'm close, though she definitely needs to learn to balance better.)

But the Jilb, God bless her, convinced me to see a doctor. I went to the clinic this morning, and they sent me to Fargo, and there I had an ultrasound, had some blood taken, ate at Arby's, bought a pair of blue jeans (excellent shopping in Fargo), and found out I had cancer -- which wasn't so neat. (You already know the severity of my reaction. I was so distraught I ate at Arby's.)

I have surgery on Tuesday. They're taking away the right fella. Prayers, of course, are welcome and appreciated.

Going to the waiting room and telling the Jilb was the hardest part.

"It's cancer," I said.

She cried. After a while she quietly exhaled, "Wow."

"Yeah," I said. "Wow."

We held hands for a moment, looking at each other, looking down again, looking at little Emma in the car seat and wondering what the future held. I grasped my wife's hand even tighter and caught her gaze.

"Can I get an X-Box 360?"

"No."

"Dang. Worth a shot."

After all, things aren't changing that much.

23 Comments:

At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger dangeresque dan said...

Dude . . . Dude. I feel for ya man. I wish I had some sort of clever, witty remark to make but I don't. I will be praying for you, Emma, and Jilb.

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um... Stunned...

We'll be praying for you.

Isaac

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

Wow...We were wondering when the right time to tell the Kids would be...(Over pizza at the "Hamptons", in the outdoor Hot Tub, etc.), then you go and blog it.

Very cool. The Colonel has always been proud of you, but this takes the cake. Your Faith and sense of humor will kick this thing's butt.

See you Friday

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Larry said...

Prayin' for ya man.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

Oh, yeah...your Faith, your sence of humor, AND your Butt-Kicking Wife.

...and Emma

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen! i've been wondering all day if I should have posted that quote by grandma. i never could have done it if you hadn't the sense of humor first.

praying, praying, and then praying some more.
m

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Reinman said...

Michelle: I removed the first comment because of your e-mail request.

And also because Jill and I were horribly, horribly offended.

Anyway, I understand the need to be overly tactful in a time like this.

I wavered for an hour whether or not to use the title "You Never Can Tell with Balls" before ultimately choosing "Nuts" because it seemed more family-friendly.

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thought, prayers...coming your way! and, btw, i like the title of the blog.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

We're glad we got to read Michelle's comment b4 it was buh-leeted.

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones."

Grandpagrandmabeckyal

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Graceland King said...

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from where shall my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold,He who keeps Israel(er, the ReinMan) will neither slumber nor sleep.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Jilb said...

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement and support. We're so grateful to have family and friends like you!

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are thinking and praying for you! ~The doctors and nursing staff too. And I aggree with colonel havoc... You are so kicking this thing's butt!

We are here for you if you need anything, just let us know.

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger mrswilly said...

how many times do you read blogs but never comment. I figured this is time a comment is definately called for. We have faith in a God who is our healer! We believe for a complete healing of this disease and it's complete irradication from your system. know that the Williamsons are praying for the whole family!

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So am I gonna be able to take you in basketball now?... I didnt think so either. We are praying for you in Kansas City.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger The Smelker Seven said...

Jenny Clair sent me on over to your blog - praying for ya man...

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Berne said...

Certainly a departure from your usual light hearted posts. Cancer=bad. However, it's a good thing you caught it. Hope the surgery goes OK and you're given a clean bill of health after. Hang in there.

(Also a reminder to men our age to watch things like that.)

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger [ brooke ] said...

I'm praying as well (for you, the surgery, the doctors and nurses, and your family)! You're basically family to me! Love you guys! (That does include Jill, Emma, and even Bennie.)

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Saviano's said...

You're in our prayers! ~Valerie~

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Shainerz said...

PRAYING FOR YOU

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger John Hubert said...

Aaron,

We will be praying for you. I liked your post. I know that this is a scary thing for a guy, but God is faithful.

We will also pray that you get a Xbox 360 because we care about all of your needs.

Pastor John (Crossroads Church)

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Abe said...

Jess and I have been praying for you. We are anxiously awaiting news of how your surgery went.

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger dangeresque dan said...

Yeah bud how did the surgery go? Did you ask to keep it in a jar? Update us bud. Keep the faith man. And I hope you do get the 360.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home